1. Competition Purpose:
The overarching theme of the 2010 ResilientCity.org Design Ideas Competition is: “Building Urban Resilience where you live with what you have.” Consistent with this theme, the purpose of this year’s competition is:
1. To raise greater awareness about the combined challenges of Climate Change and Peak Oil in the context of human settlement - and the radical challenges these will pose for how we plan cities and design buildings in the future
2. Who is Eligible?
Architects, urban planners, urban designers, landscape architects, and engineers, including interns and students of these disciplines.
3. Jury Members
The jury will be composed of planning, architectural, landscape and engineering professionals and academics representing the disciplines of Architecture, Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, and Engineering.
To be announced!
4. Entry Requirements
Because the theme of this year’s competition is “Building Urban Resilience where you live with what you have”, we are requiring that competition participants propose ideas for the city that they are currently a resident of.
Proponents have the option of submitting in two types of media:
Text and Images Blog: participants can submit their entry as a combination of narrative text, plans, images, photos, and diagrams formatted as a web blog. (See competition updates for more detailed description of how blog content should be submitted).
Video Blog: participants can submit their ideas proposal as a video mini-doc of up to 10 minutes in length - a video that has first been uploaded onto YouTube. (The YouTube links will then be submitted by the end date of competition submissions.)
For more information on requirements for submission please see the Competition Submission Format and Content Requirements page.
Other Requirements: In addition to the above, participants must:
1. Complete the online application form and related registration information.
2. As part of registration agree to the waiver of copyright that will allow ResilientCity.org and its organizers to publish your submitted blog content on the ResilientCity.org Website, to use these for any promotional purposes ResilientCity.org deems appropriate, and to allow the submissions and ideas contained in them to pass into the public domain.
3. As part of registration, provide their email address, city of residence (where their idea proposal will be based), postal code or zip code, and a photograph of themselves or of their team for their blog entry.
4. As part of registration, provide their Twitter name, and then follow @resilientcity in order to receive competition update tweets.
5. Competition Rules
6. Selection Criteria
Submissions will be reviewed and evaluated by the jury based on the following criteria:
There will be no set evaluative weighting to each of these criteria. The jury members will use their best judgment in selecting winning proposals based on each participant's demonstrated ability to meet all of the above criteria.
7. Prizes and Honours
The following prizes and honours are available:
8. Admission Fees
There are no admission fees.
9. Registration Process
To register to enter the ResilientCity.org 2010 Design Ideas Competition you will need to complete the online Registration Form by clicking on the link below. The information required in the registration form is used strictly for competition administration purposes and WILL NOT BE SOLD OR PROVIDED TO ANY 3RD PARTIES FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
Submissions are due on
Friday May 28th, 2010 by 12 am. EST.